Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What We Mean When We Talk About Culture

As team lead for the Colorado Springs group, I'm deep in research mode and reading a lot about cultural planning. Our consultant is coming next week and in preparation I have been trying to wrap my head around what kind of approach we need to employ to develop a cultural plan for the Pikes Peak region. The following list from the Cultural Planning Toolkit has struck a chord with me, and I'm wondering if anyone has any additions or comments, please add. Some of the items on this list strike me as quite vague, and that they need more clarification.

Visual Arts
Performing Arts
Heritage
Recreation
Music organizations
Historical Societies
Adult Training
Media (print, broadcast, online)
Literary Arts
Business and Tourism Organizations
Recreation departments
libraries, schools, and school districts
colleges and universities
Ethnic and neighborhood organizations
Local government
Other Community Groups

Any insight would be very helpful. How are the other communities coming along?

No comments: